Carnival 2015 is officially over here in Sweet Sweet T&T, and for most of us the struggle of transitioning back to everyday life is too real! Two months of feteing, followed by two full days of reveling in the hot sun can seriously deplete the body. Prolonged alcohol consumption also adversely affects the human immune system as it diffuses into almost every biological tissue into the body as cell membranes are highly permeable to alcohol.
It is important then to detoxify the body in order to restore its optimal health. I am here to provide you with my favorite way to rid my body of harmful toxins via a simple detox tea. The ingredients are readily available and easy to find, and I’m sure most Trini’s will have these in their kitchen pantries. I have found that supplemented with a balanced diet, this tea helps to boost my immune system and promote general feelings of wellbeing including increased energy levels, proper digestion and overall blood circulation.
What it contains:
Tumeric: This powerful root has been used for centuries in ancient ayurvedic remedies as an anti-inflammatory cure. It has been linked to the treatment of an exhaustive list of ailments including bowel disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Cystic Fibrosis, Cancer Cell Growth and Metastases.
Ginger: Another common ingredient in ancient Indian and Chinese treatments, ginger reduces inflammation, soothes pain and helps regulate blood sugar.
Cinnamon and Honey: This powerful duo has long been used for its ability to detoxify the body and aid in the prevention of fat accumulation.
Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Cardamom Seeds and Clove: These spices and botanicals have been traditionally used for centuries to generate heat which helps stimulate circulation and release toxins from deep within the body.
1 Tablespoon tumeric powder
1 Teaspoon freshly grated ginger
3 Cinnamon sticks or 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Honey
½ Teaspoon black pepper
¼ Teaspoon cayenne pepper
6-8 Cardamom seeds (the contents of approximately 5 cardamom pods)
4 Cups Water
· Steep cinnamon sticks/cinnamon powder in water on medium heat for approximately two minutes.
· Add cardamom seeds, clove, and ginger. Continue steeping for around 1-2 minutes or until water comes to a simmer.
· Add turmeric powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
· Reduce heat to low and steep for approximately 5 minutes.
· Add honey, strain and serve whilst hot
This recipe yields between four to five cups of delicious tea!
Those who prefer a more indulgent taste may add some almond milk for a creamy finish.
For added sweetness the amount of honey can be increased within reason.
· I recommend using an extra ½ cup of water because water tends to evaporate during the boiling/steeping process.
· Always begin by steeping cinnamon prior to adding any ingredients. When heated in water, cinnamon releases an intense sweet/spicy flavor which perfumes the tea
· Tumeric tends to stain, so be careful if it comes into contact with kitchen towels, serving dishes, surface areas, clothing and skin.
· This tea is very spicy which can be an acquired taste. If you find the recipe too intense, I recommend drinking small amounts at a time and perhaps reducing the amounts of black pepper or cayenne pepper until an affiliation is obtained.
Good luck and don't forget that you can do your research and make this recipe your own by altering the ingredients to suit your preference.